Thursday, December 25, 2014

Readers Recall Bruno Kirby, Lynn Sellers… and Billy Crystal

By Nicholas Stix

[In response to: “Bruno Kirby: Rest in Peace, Pal”.

See also: “Billy Crystal: No More Mr. Nice Guy”; and

http://goo.gl/EdtQIC


“More Kirby/Crystal”
.]
 

Jonathan Potts said...

Nice tribute. I had no idea that the limo scene was cut from the theatrical release of "Spinal Tap." I thought I recalled seeing it on VHS in the 90s. I'm almost sure I did.

I always thought Kirby was wasted in "Donnie Brasco." It was a relatively important part but it didn't seem like he was asked to draw upon his talents.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 at 9:11:00 AM EDT
 

Tom A said...

Jonathan, the scene in the limo wasn't cut, but there is another, quite lengthy, scene which was cut whereby the band get him stoned. This was cut from the theatrical version but included in the deleted scenes in the Spinal Tap DVD release

Saturday, October 13, 2007 at 7:18:00 PM EDT
 

Al Spector said...

I am trying to get a message to Billy Crystal--you may know how I can do that. Here's the message:

Mr. Crystal,

Congratulations on your major league at bat—more so, congratulations on doing it at 60 years of age. I’m sure every adult senior baseball player, especially those, like me, who are in our 60s, 70s, and beyond enjoyed the experience with you.

I would like to send you a copy of my book, Baseball: Never Too Old to Play “The” Game, which captures the essence of the experience and challenge of continuing to play baseball while growing older at the same time. Your love of baseball and your ability to continue to cross the white lines are consistent with the themes that run through the book. I’m sure you will enjoy it, as have other baseball fans and senior players around the country.

I am 62 and have been playing about 75 games each year in local leagues and in tournaments around the country and the world. There is baseball to be played and continuing to play is not about age. As Satchel Paige said, “How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you was?”

Please let me know where I can send a book.

Sincerely,

Al Spector

www.aaspector.com
BballNever2Old@aol.com

Sunday, March 16, 2008 at 4:21:00 PM EDT
 

starry118 said...

I was definitely a fan of Bruno Kirby, and loved the chemistry he and Billy Crystal had in their films together, with "When Harry Met Sally" being my favorite. When Bruno didn't appear in "City Slickers 2" with Billy, or any movie after that, I wondered what had happened, b/c they were so good together. I agree that none of Billy's movies since those two have been as good (although I agree that "Monster's Inc" came the closest...I enjoyed that one.) It's unfortunate that things happened as they did and that this duo, and their friendship, never recovered. :(

Thursday, November 26, 2009 at 5:47:00 PM EST
 

GGGALLO said...

Thanks for that.

Mr. Bruno Kirby gave me much happiness. Sweet memories, always.

Thursday, January 14, 2010 at 10:11:00 PM EST
 

Anonymous said...

I came across your wonderful tribute after witnessing an equally wonderful tribute (Of sorts.) recently.

Grabbing a quick bite to eat in a dismal lounge in LAX I noticed Lynn Sellers sitting on the other side of the restaurant seating area. Figuring that she wouldn't remember me, my father worked with her in the late 80's, I didn't bother to go over and introduce myself as it would only disturb the magazine article that she seemed to be engrossed in.

Suddenly, in one of those weird synchronicity moments, that I feel our awareness of separates us from the animals, the bartender turned up the lounge television that had been at a murmur so that the busboy could hear the audio. After the limo scene from This Is Spinal Tap ended the bartender verbally recreated the outtake of Mr. Kirby singing in his underwear for the already amused busboy, sharing his opinion that it was a crying shame that the funniest scene in the film was cut. As the description and opinion finished, Mrs. Sellers packed up her magazine and other small effects with a very large smile on her face.

As a child of an entertainment family you quickly learn how little onscreen presence and tabloid persona has to do with the individual behind them. From my own experience in that dingy airport lounge coupled with the wonderful comments in, and in response to, your piece whatever Billy Crystal may or may not have done to Mr. Kirby's career is irrelevant: I have yet to tell, hear, or read a complimentary anecdote about Billy Crystal.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 at 3:25:00 AM EST
 

Bruce Smirnoff said...

I used to work at the Hollywood Improv (1979). When I first saw Bruno having a drink at the bar I went up to him and told him how great he was in Godfather II. He was very grateful, asked my name and over the course of 10+ years I would occasionally be at an event where he was and he always came over to me to say Hello and ALWAYS remembered my name. A Classy and talented man.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 at 1:30:00 AM EDT
 

Anonymous said...

I saw an interview with Bruno Kirby where he talked about City Slickers I. He said that he would never "do that show again because he had the director telling him what to do on the one hand and 'someone else' always telling him what to do on the other." Given Billy Crystal's reputation, I figured out Bruno's meaning was "Crytal clear" -- that Bruno Kirby had suffered incessant criticism from Crystal throughout the filming of the movie.

A couple of men who wrote a book on how stars treated their fans said that Crystal was nasty to them. They wondered if it was just them and they just rubbed Crystal the wrong way, so they watched his interaction with other fans. They were trying to be objective. The answer was "nope, it was just Crystal being his impatient dismissive self." Too bad for Bruno Kirby.

Friday, July 5, 2013 at 7:23:00 AM EDT

No comments: